Re: [LUG] USB stick does not display

On 26/03/2019 18:26, Neil wrote:

> kern.log is empty.
>
> Here is the relevant bit from fdisk
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 3.7 GiB, 3951034368 bytes, 7716864 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0x3f97bfd7

What's the last 20 lines or so of dmesg after plugging in a USB drive?
The output of 'dmesg | tail -n 20' would be useful and there will be
obvious differences between the outputs of a successfully automounted
USB drive and an unsuccessful one.

Have you upgraded your operating system kernel recently? It could easily
be a bug in a newer kernel/subsystem shipped as part of MX Linux or
whatever you're using these days. It'd be best to concentrate on one
thing at a time but rebooting to an older kernel might help. I don't
suppose you're in a position to know if you've recently had a software
upgrade to anything like your USB libraries, systemd, udev, etc.

It's vanishingly unlikely that multiple USB drives have just stopped
working simultaneously by the way, it's going to be something to do with
your software.

Cheers