Re: [LUG] Installing Debian / Devuan in a VM on Windows 10

On 03/09/18 20:42, Joseph Bennie wrote:
> but debian is actually quite difficult to get working on hyperv because it refuses
> to ship with proprietary drivers. A default install wont even have nic support.
>
> if you want to use any linux on hyperv - its not trivial. And i strongly suggest
> an ubuntu or fedora azure cloud spin as a starting point.
> [my experience ends here as i just couldnt be bothered with a DIY and went to
> azure and spun up a prebuilt server ]

You sounded so convincing I had to double check! I get the feeling that
I probably use Hyper-V a lot more than you to be fair (most of my bigger
clients are largely windows shops, or at least their admins are more
comfortable with windows) and am a bit more used to it's admittedly
strange ways. It did used to be a *lot* worse as well, maybe you haven't
used it much recently?

Microsoft did a lot of work including the (entirely open source,
obviously) Hyper-V stuff in the mainline linux kernel so I have
literally no idea what you're talking about on the first point either.
Debian's standard kernel, just like everyone else's, ships with those
Hyper-V drivers. Debian also provide the userspace tools hyperv-daemons
and they're in the main repo, not even universe so are just an apt
install away.

'cos I knew I'd literally done this already I thought I better test it
just to make sure I wasn't going mad. My Windows 10 laptop was already
stuffed with the tools I normally use for admin work on
ESXi/Hyper-V/SystemCenter along with packer, vagrant and a bunch of
powershell stuff so I didn't have to install anything. I didn't "cheat"
either by just git cloning a packer script to build+provision me a
Debian Hyper-V instance automatically either which is what I normally do
- I sat in front of the laptop like Henry presumably did and actually
clicked on buttons and installed it myself, "normal"-style.

Honestly, it isn't even remotely difficult getting most Linux variants
to work on Hyper-V ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing I had to change from the default options was creating a
gen2 VM instead of a gen1 VM, which I would have thought was obvious
anyway (newer = better, duh). For an installation source I used the
standard debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso which throw an error on first
boot, clearly a secureboot warning (it literally told me on screen it
was a secureboot issue). So I disabled that in the settings, rebooted
and then just clicked through an absolutely standard Debian graphical
installer. Didn't change any options whatsoever, network worked just
fine out of the box (vswitch connected to the laptop wifi card).
Rebooted VM to a graphical login, ran 'apt install hyperv-daemons' and
dist-upgraded the kernel, rebooted again. Everything a-ok.

Microsoft haven't included Debian 9 on their Hyper-V compatibility chart
yet but it's been working out of the box for ages.

That being said, to go back to Henry's original issue, it's not the
nicest solution for running a full-screen VM to do actual work in.
Performance is poor, especially the graphical aspect, compared to for
example VBox or VMWare workstation.

So Henry if you want to carry on down the VM route choose something
other than Hyper-V ideally as I originally warned you. If you persevere
with Hyper-V just make sure to install Debian 9 or later (Debian 7 and 8
are ok too but require Gen1 VMs), make it a Gen2 VM and disable
secureboot in the settings before you try to boot the iso. Other than
that it works just fine. If your current attempt is a Gen1 VM just
delete it and start a new Gen2 one (no easy conversion tools).

It will be interesting to see what Henry ends up doing. 4Gb of RAM just
isn't enough to run a fullscreened Linux VM on top of Windows 10 and not
experience some serious issues...

Cheers