Re: [LUG] OT: working abroad

> A VPN would be useful  but I have not learned how to set one up, and
> cost would be important.
> Set up method,  and recommendation from those who know how, would be
> appreciated. I am willing to learn.
> Use cases: OpenSUSE Leap 15. (95% time);  Windows 10 (5% time)

I routinely use VPNs to connect to my office. Either with my work
laptop which can end up anywhere in the world or using my home system.
Both cases allow me to access our internal network as if i was at the
office. Its also totally transparent as it gives your system an Ip
address on the internal network. Also when i'm on dodgy open hotspots
at airports etc its nice to route all traffic back home so there is no
sniffing of plain http etc on the wifi.

Cost, free. We use OpenVPN client/server. openvpn is provided as a
debian package. On the clients we use the free OpenVPN gui windows
application. But the linux packages also provide client support.

For this to work you do need a server on a static IP so thats going to
be the hard part that may be an extra cost.

As for setting it up, we set up a few years ago. and tbh its not been
touched since as it just works, the package also updates with debian
stable/security so no real worries there, so i really can't remember
many of the details of the actual setup.

Robin