Re: [LUG] OT: working abroad

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:41:37AM +0100, Tom via list wrote:
> Off on holidays and need to be able to contact our house sitters.
> Last time I went abroad all my webmail etc refused to work because I
> was abroad and as I dont bother with a phone abroad there was no way
> of getting things working again. Anyone know of a way of kicking
> gmail/yahoo etc to work when not in the UK?

I travel quite a bit and have moved countries twice. Webmail typically
just works. The problem is unlikely that you're "abroad" but that, if
you normally connect from your Cornish broadband IP address and you
suddenly connect from a public WiFi in Benidorm, that this looks a tad
suspicious to their algorithms and they will want to ask you to confirm
it's you.

The suggestion of having another email address listed as a backup that
you know you can always get to is a good one, as is using a VPN. But in
the latter case, I wouldn't assume it would be sufficient to pretend
you're in the UK: suddenly connecting from another network could still
raise alarm bells. But at least, this is something you can try while
still at home.

Martijn.