Re: [LUG] [OT] Photo and Video Management.

On 24/02/18 12:49, Peter Walker wrote:
Keeping it on topic :-)

Shotwell, http://shotwell-project.org/doc/html/, is the default photo manager for Gnome. I don't use it myself but it looks like it has al the tagging and searching features needed to organise your photos.

I use a combination of Rapid Photo Downloader (RPD), https://www.damonlynch.net/rapid/, and Darktable, https://www.darktable.org/. I pull the images off my SD card with RPD which puts them in to a yyyy/yyyymmdd/ structured directory based on the EXIF date onfo. in the images. I then import into Darktable (leaving the files in the same place) and use Darktable's tagging to organise the photos.

It would also be very easy to roll your own command line importer which used the same information to put the images in whatever directory structure you wanted. I vaguely remember doing this in the past (using exiftool, I think).

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,

ÂÂÂ Thanks for that. I have had a brief poke about on those sites. All way more than I need, but certainly going to investigate further. Thank you.

ÂÂÂ I have also installed the exif program and viewed/altered some exif data. So that was also interesting and something I never knew existing prior to your email.

ÂÂÂ Ultimately I think I will try and roll-my-own. Just for fun.

Thanks very much.
Best wishes
Roly :-)