[LUG] [OT] Photo and Video Management.

Hi Folks,

Potentially off topic - depending on the answer(s).

Just wondering how folk manage their photos and videos over the long term?

I have just backed up 37G (!) of photos and videos from the micro SD card in my
phone.
My phone creates all of these files in a single directory with file names as
follows...

20161010_084048.jpg
20161010_112837.jpg
20161010_112921.jpg
20161010_145359.jpg
20161010_145410.jpg
20161010_145413.jpg
20161010_145427.mp4
20161010_145556.jpg
20161010_145607.jpg
20161010_145608.jpg
20161010_145609.jpg
20161010_145617.jpg
20161010_145618.jpg
20161010_145638.jpg
20161010_145642.jpg
20161010_145656.jpg
20161010_145657.jpg
20161010_145812.jpg
20161010_145815.jpg
20161010_150001.jpg
20161010_150016.jpg
20161010_150053.jpg
20161010_150055.jpg
20161010_150056.jpg
20161010_150623.jpg
20161010_150632.jpg
20161010_150645.mp4
20161011_185846.mp4
20161016_114354.jpg

There are around 2700 of such files at present.

I am thinking about writing a bash script that takes the 2700 files and moves them
into a more
sensible directory structure based on filename.

I was thinking something like ~/photos/year/month/

I would then manually add additional directories to further organise
my photos by event. ~/photos/year/month/event

So, an example would be...

~/photos/2016/june/CERN_Visit/               < CERN visit - wow!!! >
~/photos/2016/august/christophersBirthday/   <lots of birthday photos in this
directory>
~/photos/2016/august/shopingInHongKong/      <A quick whip round the shops in HK>
~/photos/2016/august/                        <all other photos NOT associated with a
particular event>

So, the above is what I am considering doing. But before I go to the effort, I
figured
everyone here would have the same "problem" and have solved it already in a way that
works for them...?

Do you use some pre-existing photo/video management software?

(which, I personally, am reluctant to do since I fear losing complete control of my
data and becoming reliant on one piece of software.)

Do you do something similar to what I am proposing? Perhaps in a better way?

I hope all that made some sense?

Thanks in advance for your bright ideas.

Cheers roly :-)