Re: [LUG] Packagekit

On 04/02/18 21:36, Simon Waters wrote:
> Cleaning up vanilla Debian 9 desktop yesterday. Noticed PackageKit was repeatedly
> downloading and verifying Debian release files, and messing with gpgv in the
> background making performance choppy.
>
> This was happening quite frequently, maybe once a minute.
>
> I checked the obvious to me stuff but KDE was set to check for updates once a day.
> All the packages were up to date. Does see why it would need to bother the mirrors
> so frequently, I struggle to believe the files involved change that fast so maybe
> a caching issue?!
>
> Is there some config setting or similar that does this? Do I really need
> PackageKit?
>
> Itâs an old Debian 9 install but very lightly used and only used by me. I havenât
> done much deep fiddling except poke X.org to work with headphones. So nothing Iâd
> expect to upset PackageKitd.

That's weird... PackageKit running rogue in the background and eating
all your /var/cache is normally a RPM based distro problem: you see it
on Fedora and RHEL/CentOS all the time for example. I've never come
across it before on Debian (has it been pulled in as part of KDE's fancy
one-click codec installer tools perhaps?) or Ubuntu.

Either way, go ahead and purge packagekit. Double check /var/cache for a
big left over folder just in case.

Cheers