Re: [LUG] Small desktop computers

On 05/02/18 10:33, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 03/02/18 23:21, Julian Hall wrote:
On 03/02/18 17:28, Neil wrote:
I was looking around the internet today and happened on so called
small desktop computers. When I converted the dimensions to inches
(millimetres, what are they?) I couldn't believe it. I thought I must
have made a mistake, but other versions seemed to confirm it. And they
mostly seem to have Linux installed.

If I am right, to my mind it would look just stupid, a diddy box like
that alongside a normal sized screen and keyboard. And yet I see a
claim that they are becoming more popular. Really? And how would you
get inside the box if necessary?

Can anyone confirm this, or am I missing something?

Julian

Small hard drives.
  Linux OK.
Windows has some problems with small hard drives.
I have recently 'updated' a number of  computers of different hard disc
sizes/RAM for others. Big problem with hard disc sizes of below 50 GB on
a Major Windows 10 version update. e.g. version change. Due to Windows
10 storing "Windows.old" (about 11 to 18GB) as well as new Windows 10 OS
and user's stuff. The update can either freeze or request extra (say USB
Key) storage to complete update, and then you need to get rid of
'Windows.old' and all unused programs.
Major problem was with one with a 30 GB SSD.
Some were very bad due low RAM (=<2GB), so changed to a Linux distro.
Due to this (in case you ever want to re-install Windows 10 to resell)
you would be advised to use 60GB as smallest hard drive.

Actually Neil said that not me.

Julian