From: list [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Neil
Sent: 21 January 2018 15:35
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 21/01/18 13:58, Andrew Kendall wrote:

> I can identify the hardware - I built it, although at the moment I have no idea what ufei is I'll do the research.

> I use all the typical MS apps, Office 2010, ESET antivirus which has a port to Linux for Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, Red Hat (64-bit), I play an old game TA:Kingdoms which would be a "must". And quite a few others, I'll need to list them.

> I suppose the best thing to do is perform and initial dual boot

> install and start using it. My fear is that I'll need to learn it all

> to be able to support the wife's PC too, and my laptop (Dell Latitude

> D630), and my daughters PC..... <sigh>  :-(

Hi Andrew, I guess you are the newcomer to our meeting in Holsworthy. I can't remember where you live, but I could certainly set up a meeting to have a chat about this some time. I too look after my own computers and also those for my wife and daughter, so I am used to that. If you make the next meeting we could arrange something.

I am pleased at the response to my email. It seems there is some interest in this. The suggestions for actual distros so far have not mentioned the one I use, Linux Lite. This is supposed to be a good one for people moving over from Windows. It uses xfce as the desktop, which I know well, and in spite of its name, is can be developed into a very powerful distro.

I should also mention that I have seen several examples recently of people saying to avoid dual boot, especially if it a case of  MS Windows alongside Linux. Far better to find an old computer to use, apparently.

Now I must look at creating a live Linux USB.

Neil