[LUG] Linux Training

Recently I met a newcomer to this area who turned out to be a Linux user. He told me that he carries round a USB stick with a live version on Linux on it so that he can demonstrate it to anyone who asks about it.

This got me thinking. I read recently that Linux has about 3% of the desktop usage now, which seems very low. Yet how do we help to increase that? I know that if someone came up to me to ask me if would be willing to teach them to use Linux, I would be a bit baffled and worried. Where would I start?

There are so many questions. A new computer, an old one, dual boot? Which distro? Should I install Linux first for them or should that be part of the learning process? That is just for starters.

I believe that some members of the list are keen about getting more people across to the Linux world. So I am asking, does anyone have any experience in this area? Any pointers, suggestions please?

Thanks,

Neil