Re: [LUG] Video Playing Problem

On 28/12/17 21:37, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using Fedora 27 and I had no problems playing videos through vlc
> and videos. However, now I hear sound but cannot see any picture. I
> thought I had installed all the relevant codecs. Is there anyway of
> checking please?

Ok, let's play the detective game again :)

1: "I am using Fedora 27 and I had no problems playing videos"
2: ???
3: "However, now I hear sound but cannot see any picture"

You've kind of left out the most important part... what happened at step
2? Surely not mid-video so after a reboot? After installing something?
Changing a plug? It was just like that one day when you turned it on?
Graphics driver upgrade? *Something* changed and we need to figure out
what it is.

Which codecs *have* you installed? Is there a specific file type
(mkv/avi/mp4/etc) that does this or is it all of them? Do you still have
working video via youtube or whatever in a browser? Does DVD playback
work if you even have one of them?

Probably the best place to get started is to play back a video as usual
but launch it from the terminal so you can see what's going on properly. So:

vlc /path/to/some/video

will start up vlc as usual but you can watch what it's doing. Look for
errors and report back I guess.

Also, try with mpv instead after installing it:

sudo dnf install mpv
dnf /path/to/some/video

You could also definitely check your usual logs for issues (it's Fedora
so journalctl to the rescue). Are you running on Wayland rather than
Xorg as well by any chance? That's definitely going to cause issues and
it's the default on Fedora now.

Cheers