Re: [LUG] Fwd: DVD issues Xubuntu 16.04

On 10/05/2017 16:15, mr meowski wrote:
>  it's that
> the live system isn't going to work out the box and will need some
> tweaking and extra packages installed, some of which will need reboots.
> And they of course won't persist across reboots, being a live system,

You could always set up a 'non live', but external say 16 Gb or 32 GB
USB key with an *installed* Linux OS system other than your present one.
It has some persistence, (as 'external hard disc' ) but must be created
on your system so GRUB2 gets its act together. BE CAREFUL not to install
over your existing system OS.

I use this to allow a linux system with more than basic Live Linux disc
to be used on Vista machines without altering the existing set up for
browsing with folk I help,  before we go down road of dual booting or
wiping Windows Vista off machine.

I also use it on my Linux box to try out other systems with some degree
of 'extra things' over the live linux or install basic selection.

To prove a 'duff disc' have you any other nearby folk who can try it on
a Windows set up (case 1, as you have already tried a mac) and on a
different Linux set up (case 2*)?
Case 2*  could be as external USB above.
If at worst, ask, and then post to me to try.
(I have Windows 10 Pro (modern machine), Older circa 2006 machines with
OpenSUSE 42.2  XFCE, Ubuntu 16.04, Knoppix set ups etc.)

--
regards
Eion MacDonald