Re: [LUG] Fwd: DVD issues Xubuntu 16.04

On 08/05/17 07:44, Pentiddy wrote:
> vlc with highlander-
>
> vlc
> VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
> [000000000238c148] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface.
> Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
> libdvdnav: DVD Title: DVDVolume
> libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: bdd75393
> libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): DVDVolume
> libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fd0000. Regions: 2
>
> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000014a
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0

<snip>

> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name" | uniq
> model name    : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N2840  @ 2.16GHz
>
> lspci -vnn | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom
> Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display [8086:0f31] (rev 0e)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Interesting... To be fair to it, your laptop's Bay Trail series SoC
isn't exactly the strongest performer - to put it mildly - and it is
trying to load some libraries for hardware rendering that aren't present
as expected but otherwise the VLC output from the Highlander disk looks
largely ok. Largely.

Note that libdvdnav still hasn't correctly extracted the actual
disk/title name - it should say "The Highlander" or something similar,
and it's defaulting to the UFS volume name instead, "DVDVolume". It is
still able to use the serial number to start the lidvdcss process and
decode the contents though.

Although the Captain Fantastic DVD is a relatively new release, if I
grap the latest copy of the KEYDB and check that it's CSS keys are
available:

ghost@failbot:~$ grep -i "Captain Fantastic" ~/scratchfiles/KEYDB.cfg
0xAED1CC26EA09E76F0A158674D183790166DE1C16 = CAPTAIN FANTASTIC | V |
0xFF412549F4E8E5D0979FD5CE95D42411 ; MKBv62/FindVUK 0.98

So that checks out fine as well. Strange...

Didn't you originally say that the DVD *does* actually play back, but
it's jerky and drops a lot of frames?

I'll be completely honest, I'm really scratching my head about this one.
Have you experienced any other issues with that particular laptop
because from what I've read through checking online, they are
notoriously badly supported under Linux and need either a very recent
bleeding edge system with the latest kernel or patched i2c, HDMI and
wifi drivers to work reliably. Does sleep/hibernate work?

I'm hesitant to start you off down a path of relentlessly upgrading
software though, just to play a single DVD! Sometimes it really is best
to just leave well alone...

Cheers