Re: [LUG] Fwd: DVD issues Xubuntu 16.04

On 08/05/17 20:12, Pentiddy wrote:
yes I did manage to get some sort of playback
> by dropping the video file into a VLC window...

It's a bit hard to figure out what you mean by that... I bet you've even
got hidden files and extensions turned off in Thunar as well. Are you
drag+dropping a .VOB file from the DVD after it's mounted to VLC? Might
even need a screenshot of what exactly's going on to make sense of it.
Belay that for the moment though.

> Not up  the jargon- what do you meanwhen you say "your laptop's Bay
> Trail series SoC isn't exactly the strongest performer - to put it mildly"?

"Bay Trail" is just Intel's codename for a family of its combined SoC
(system on a chip) products one of which is the main computing muscle
inside your laptop. They tend to focus on low power efficiency rather
than old fashioned brute force - nothing wrong with that of course,
especially in a laptop. Nobody could accuse a Bay Trail of system of
being "powerful" however.

I wonder if it's just a corrupt CSS key of all things? What does this show:

ls -alhR ~/.dvdcss

The output of that might be *really* long so if it is, pipe it to a file
first and then attach it. For example:

ls -alhR ~/.dvdcss > ~/Desktop/baytrail.dvdcss.listing

Cheers