Re: [LUG] Debian USB Boot disk

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Some very useful points but first Debian. I have created the stick and ran it as a live distro and it has picked up all drivers etc with no problems. Very impressed. I did use the free version. I haven't installed yet but will do, it is much faster at loading than Ubuntu. When I say fast I haven't timed it, just a gut response and that is running of a usb stick.

Secondly, I'm glad you mentioned Unity. I ditched it the other day and have started to use Gnome and I wished I had done it some while ago. It looks 'nice' but it is resource hungry and a lot of unnecessary guff loaded.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be interested to see how the list replies. I'm enjoying Gnome 3.

Rich

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 at 21:34 mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/04/17 12:07, Richard Brown wrote:
> I'm just looking at downloading the ISO and the links you sent are
> brilliant. I have downloaded Gnome but now wondering if I ought to try
> KDE. Any thoughts? I was going to ask the question on the list but then
> realised I might start a flame war!

Hi Richard,

I'm punting this back to the list actually as for once, I don't have
much to say on this. I do have preferences* but when I was very young
and new to all this I read a phrack interview with a hacker who said he
always strived to be completely hardware and software agnostic and
didn't care what he used as long as he had easy shell access. That made
a *big* impression on me and I've always stayed true to that philosophy:
I'll use literally anything as long as I've got /bin/sh and network -
CDE, Irix Magic Desktop, Windows WDM, AmigaOS Workbench, a bare VT,
Gnome, XFCE, Awesome, a phone, your phone, whatever Â\_(ã)_/Â

Don't worry about flaming, everyone here (except me!) seems pretty
mature so I'm sure you'll get some decent input.

Good luck with your Debian install by the way - now you've got your ISO
pretty much anything would work to make the USB stick, including the
Ubuntu startup disk creator you originally asked about.

Cheers

* For the record:

The only DE I don't get on with is KDE - it's just too complicated and
fiddly for me. Nothing against it of course, just not my cup of tea.
Conversely everyone else in the entire world seems to despise Gnome3...
I rather like it. Also Unity is a technical dead end and officially
discontinued, but that doesn't rule it out if you really like it of
course. These days I do tend towards increasingly ultra-simple, stripped
out windowing environments on *nix: Awesome, blackbox and i3 are great
for just getting out of my way and letting me have a pretty wallpaper,
pink highlights (yeah, seriously) and pulling up lots and lots of lovely
shells. I don't care much about anything else.
--

Richard Brown
07747 343637