Re: [LUG] Debian USB Boot disk

On 19/04/17 12:07, Richard Brown wrote:
> I'm just looking at downloading the ISO and the links you sent are
> brilliant. I have downloaded Gnome but now wondering if I ought to try
> KDE. Any thoughts? I was going to ask the question on the list but then
> realised I might start a flame war!

Hi Richard,

I'm punting this back to the list actually as for once, I don't have
much to say on this. I do have preferences* but when I was very young
and new to all this I read a phrack interview with a hacker who said he
always strived to be completely hardware and software agnostic and
didn't care what he used as long as he had easy shell access. That made
a *big* impression on me and I've always stayed true to that philosophy:
I'll use literally anything as long as I've got /bin/sh and network -
CDE, Irix Magic Desktop, Windows WDM, AmigaOS Workbench, a bare VT,
Gnome, XFCE, Awesome, a phone, your phone, whatever Â\_(ã)_/Â

Don't worry about flaming, everyone here (except me!) seems pretty
mature so I'm sure you'll get some decent input.

Good luck with your Debian install by the way - now  you've got your ISO
pretty much anything would work to make the USB stick, including the
Ubuntu startup disk creator you originally asked about.

Cheers

* For the record:

The only DE I don't get on with is KDE - it's just too complicated and
fiddly for me. Nothing against it of course, just not my cup of tea.
Conversely everyone else in the entire world seems to despise Gnome3...
I rather like it. Also Unity is a technical dead end and officially
discontinued, but that doesn't rule it out if you really like it of
course. These days I do tend towards increasingly ultra-simple, stripped
out windowing environments on *nix: Awesome, blackbox and i3 are great
for just getting out of my way and letting me have a pretty wallpaper,
pink highlights (yeah, seriously) and pulling up lots and lots of lovely
shells. I don't care much about anything else.