Re: [LUG] CMOS or else

On 17/04/17 17:03, mr meowski wrote:

Well, at least you tried instead of just plain not bothering - that's a
result in itself. You now know that attempting a CMOS reset didn't blow
your computer into smithereens even if it doesn't seem to have worked.

Did it definitely *not* work by the way? Have you 100% confirmed that
rebooting and then constantly tapping the F2 key all the way from power
on to login screen definitely doesn't arrest boot and drop you at the
setup screen?

Yes, as usual the keyboard is ignored and it finishes up at the usual login.

This might not be the best time to mention this but the absolute worst
thing about all of this is that if you had a Windows 8.1 or 10 install
instead of Linux, you can just go into the control panel and select
"reboot to UEFI setup" and it will work first time. I do know just how
lame that is but blame Microsoft, Intel and all the motherboard
manufacturers for playing along in the never ending war of convenience
against end users. Can't have damned free thinkers installing
non-prescribed software on their own hardware now can we? [insert a lot
of very bad words here].

Actually I did know that already. And you can add my bad words to the list.

Please let me know if the "batter F2" trick definitely still doesn't
work - try it at least twice - and then we'll take a break for a while
and regroup. It might take MJE or myself to be on hand but the escalation
step for this is to pop the case open and get our hands on the actual
jumpers and internal reset switches.

Yes I have tried that, to no avail.

Congrats on sticking with this so far.

Cheers

I should perhaps mention that tomorrow we are being invaded by three grandchildren, staying until Friday. So I shall be a bit limited till then, especially as my study upstairs is now back to being a bedroom for these few days.

Nonetheless, I will not be beaten by this. If necessary I will even start playing about with jumpers and internal switches. Beaten by a ruddy computer,no way!!

Neil