Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Meeting

On 16/04/17 13:11, Neil via list wrote:

> Michael came to my house afterwards to look at my computer. We agreed
> that, as it stands now, there is no way to get to the BIOS in time since
> it boots very quickly. I suspect that fast boot is enabled. Could not
> think of any way round that at the moment.
>
> I have had a look around the internet and it seems that this is quite a
> common problem. Various suggestions are there, and the main one seems to
> be to clear the CMOS. There is a button on the tower to do this so I
> don't even need to remove any panels. This supposedly will return the
> BIOS settings to their defaults and will also let be get at them from
> log on.
>
> Meanwhile the people at the local computer shop have offered to have a
> look for me if I take the tower to the shop. They seemed confident that
> they could solve it.
>
> Still looking around at various options before deciding what to do.
> Meanwhile am backing up my home folder completely.

Haha, not to sound bitter or anything but to be fair, I have already
told you definitively about three times now that:

The problem is definitively that fast boot has been enabled
The ONLY fix is to reset the BIOS (via the Clear CMOS button)
Where the Clear CMOS button is (on the back next to the HDMI port)
How to use it (power off, unplug, depress button, power back up)
You may have to change default BIOS settings to get your system booted

I certainly can't blame you for being cautious but I feel you might be
taking it a bit too far at this point... The computer isn't going to
bite you y'know! Whilst you had MJE on hand you probably should have
just gone ahead with the BIOS reset and you'd have had him to help with
any subsequent tweaking you might have needed to get your existing
system booting again. This is exactly what they're going to end up doing
at your local shop but with the added hassle of having to unplug
everything and transport the box there! If Holsworthy was closer to me
I'd have just turned up on your doorstep by now to do it myself.

Seriously, you *don't* have any options except not doing anything and
putting up with a locked BIOS for the rest of that PC's life, which
isn't going to work out very well for you when the currently installed
OS dies or needs replacing. Well, technically you could do a chrooted
clean install on a separate disk in another system and then physically
move it in to your tower but that would be way, way more complicated and
would involve cracking the box open.

Chiefly what I'm learning from this is that you really, REALLY, *REALLY*
don't like fiddling with the hardware side of computers do you? There's
nothing wrong with that of course but honestly, there's nothing to fear,
you're fully backed up and even have at least one spare machine just in
case. You're also missing out on half of the 'fun' of computers -
there's so much cool magic stuff going on inside those mysterious cases
y'know.

Just reset the damn CMOS already! (Pretty please)

Cheers