Re: [LUG] Video editing

On 06/04/17 07:38, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for all the replies. And Michael if you can help with the questions
> below that would be amazing. If you live in Cornwall and would be willing
> to have a visitor for a quick Blender tutorial then even better!

I don't live in Cornwall.

> Since I
> wrote the question I have tried a variety of programs (not blender). To be
> honest Blender looks way beyond our basic needs. Openshot was great because
> it is drag and drop with simple tools for cutting clips.

It is a shame that Openshot and similar have crash issues.  They look
great.  Openshot had some great review in the past (last in 2011):

http://www.openshot.org/reviews/

But having a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openshot

talks about how version 2.X is supposed to be more stable; which is why
I said about the version being important.  In Debian there is only 1.4.
And version 2.3 has this glowing review:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3186857/open-source-tools/linux-video-editor-openshot-23-impresses-new-tools-fast-performance.html

and, if doesn't work out, I'd recommended having a look at Kdenlive;
which is mentioned in the article:

https://kdenlive.org/

> The machine I have
> does seem to struggle a bit but I will continue to use it and see how I get
> on. I'll give Blender a go tonight and see how we get on.

Blender is very hard to get into.  I recommend reading the User Manual
(for the version of Blender you are using) all the way through:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/

Then have a search for starter tutorials.  Video tutorials are the best
and play them side-by-side with your open Blender, pausing the video as
you go and doing what is described in the video.

> In the meantime,
> I might be looking at building a low-end video editing desktop and would
> love some idea on specs. I'll be using Ubuntu and if possible would love a
> mini ITX case - space is a premium.

I'm a Free Software person so my answers reflect that.

> 1. AMD or intel? For low cost I have read that AMD is more powerful but
> runs hot and noisy (noise would be a factor). We will have to do this in a
> lounge.

I would go with Intel because if choose the right CPU then it will have
integrated graphics which are "good enough" but don't require non-free
drivers/blobs/software.

As I've said elsewhere:

The bad news is that the "BIOS" is non-free and there is no Free
Software replacement nor is there ever likely to be due to locking down
by Intel.  Other bad news is that they have the Intel Management Engine
coprocessor (and related Intel Active Management Technology) in them,
which is not only not free software, it can potentially do lots of nasty
things.  Some of "features" you can turn off in the "BIOS" menu but are
they really turned off?  The bad news continues with things like
non-free microcode, Secure Boot and so on.

You get similar with AMD.

> 2. I'm told get the best GPU for your budget?

Use Intel integrated graphics.

> 3. Do I work with a ssd and store on a hard drive?

Obviously, budget comes in here.  But I'd say SSD all the way and the
prices have dropped and dropped.  Do a bit of research on models too so
you know issues/risks.  However, backups to large HDD seems reasonable.

> Any thoughts and help would be brilliant.

Thoughts provided.

M.

--
FSF member #9429