Re: [LUG] Video editing

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. And Michael if you can help with the questions below that would be amazing. If you live in Cornwall and would be willing to have a visitor for a quick Blender tutorial then even better! Since I wrote the question I have tried a variety of programs (not blender). To be honest Blender looks way beyond our basic needs. Openshot was great because it is drag and drop with simple tools for cutting clips. The machine I have does seem to struggle a bit but I will continue to use it and see how I get on. I'll give Blender a go tonight and see how we get on. In the meantime, I might be looking at building a low-end video editing desktop and would love some idea on specs. I'll be using Ubuntu and if possible would love a mini ITX case - space is a premium.Â

1. AMD or intel? For low cost I have read that AMD is more powerful but runs hot and noisy (noise would be a factor). We will have to do this in a lounge.
2. I'm told get the best GPU for your budget?Â
3. Do I work with a ssd and store on a hard drive?

Any thoughts and help would be brilliant.

Thanks

Rich

On 5 April 2017 at 22:48, Michael Dorrington via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/04/17 19:39, Richard Brown via list wrote:

> We have started to edit the video using Openshot video editor on a T420
> Thinkpad with 7.7gb ram and a 110gb ssd. After a short while the editor
> crashed and has continued to crash within a couple of minutes of
> re-opening. Does anybody have any idea why please?

I have looked into Free Software video editors and my experience with
programs like Openshot is that they were easy to use but they crashed.
As such I went with using Blender, as although it is difficult to use,
it doesn't crash plus it can do other video related work.

> Would a different machine be a better idea?

Probably not. Different OS versions and Openshot versions may help.

> Any ideas anyone please?

Hope that helps. Can send more details if you're interested.

M.

--
FSF member #9429
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=9429