Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 01/04/17 15:37, Neil via list wrote:
> Last April I had a new desk top computer made up to my spec. As it was a
> company that knows about Linux, and I had already told them that I use
> Xubuntu, it arrived with it already installed. So I just used it as it was.
>
> Each time I log on I see a message that I should use F2 to get to the
> BIOS, or in this case UEFI, and F11 to be able to choose where to log on.
>
> For the first time I have thought about changing my distro, so I tried
> F11, but it did not work. It was just ignored. I also tried F2, but that
> was ignored too. When I tried again I just got a blank screen and had to
> reset.
>
> I am a bit lost now. Can anyone suggest where I should try from here?

Hi Neil - first, do you know what motherboard you have? Depending on the
make/model and whether it's in CSM-flavoured BIOS mode or pure UEFI
makes a big difference to how you interact with it. Also, whether or not
the secureboot toggle is on makes a big difference.

If you're not sure of the specs just say and I'll dig out the dmidecode
shell command to tell you.

Cheers