Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 01/04/17 17:30, Neil via list wrote:
> Further to this message, I tried the following
>
> sudo efibootmgr
> efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system.
>
> Is that to be expected?

Entirely, your PC is definitely switched to BIOS mode rather than UEFI,
although the hotkey will remain the same (F2 or Del, according to the
the manual). efibootmgr shouldn't even be installed in your case...

To be honest I'd expect a third party installer to do exactly that,
setting up EFI with Linux can be a bit painful unless you're used to it
so they effectively took the "easy" - and arguably sensible - route. Why
introduce complexity needlessly after all?

Apparently the PCH setup for your motherboard is a bit... odd in that
depending on how they've hooked up the internals your USB ports might
not behave entirely as expected, especially not in the early stages. Do
you know if you have a M2 SSD installed? That will potentially
deactivate some of the internal SATA ports. Also some of your USB ports
may not actually be functional at all, or only post-boot.

Try moving the keyboard to a couple of different ports if your results
seem a bit random. Avoid the front panel ones if possible.

I suspect that mercilessly spamming both the F2 and Del keys during boot
*will* get you into the BIOS with a couple of tries now you've confirmed
that F11 does bring up the boot menu... sometimes.

Man, computers are a pain in the ass sometimes.

Cheers