Re: [LUG] Security Thoughts

On 30/03/17 19:57, mr meowski via list wrote:
> Lots of (most?) modern distros do indeed setup the intial user with
> access to the sudo/wheel/admin group as required and full sudo
> permissions and randomly scramble the root password. There's nothing
> wrong with that until your system breaks and you're dropped at the dreaded:
Check the /etc/shadow file .. there is rarely a seed in there for root,
let alone a password hash ...
> To answer an earlier question as well, Linux full disk encryption does
> indeed transparently encrypt/decrypt all files on the fly for you, no
> intervention needed. Outside of servers in racks, there's not really any
> reason to NOT have it on any Linux PC that isn't bolted down these days,
> including home PCs and definitely anything portable (read: nickable).
> Performance overhead is virtually non-existent, even on prehistoric
> hardware like netbooks or creaky old Macs.
>
> Cheers
For the uninitiated, what should one be looking for for encrypted
file-systems .. I will probably set my new Gentoo incarnation up
properly if I can find the appropriate topic in the extensive wiki ... :]

MJE