[LUG] Security Thoughts

With all that is happening about surveillance and back doors in programs etcetera, recently I am getting more and more concerned about security.

I, my wife and daughter all use Linux. We are each the only user on our own machines. When we log on the password we use is also the one to use with sudo to become root. (We all use Xubuntu.) This has long seemed to me to be a weakness in our security.

So I am wondering, wouldn't it be safer to have a separate root password, different from the log on one? Then if someone, for whatever reason, gets to know our log on password, they would not also have our sudo password.

So, is that a good idea? Is is easy to do? Is it even possible? Any thoughts/comments from anyone on the list?

Just wondering,

Neil