Re: [LUG] Security Thoughts

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:22:54 +0100
Simon Waters via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Of course the deeper the hole you bury your data in the more important
>good backups become. You lose the key to an encrypted disk your data is
>toast.

I'm probably telling you something you already know, but;

I've seen people lose data, even when making regular (i.e. daily)
backups.
Why?
Because they assume that their backup regimen creates perfect archives.

A proper back/archive structure involves testing the archives & backups
and rebuilding datasets from them both to see if there are any problems.

Losing vital data isn't fun, and finding out you've *really* lost it when
you try to reload a corrupt backup is quite often the final kick in nuts
that we don't really need.   :-(

--
 Regards  _
Never give in until they crack