Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 14/02/17 17:19, Neil via list wrote:

> OK, so I have had a go at VBox again. After much struggling and trying
> to remember how I did it last time, I have got it running with the guest
> additions too.
>
> Still trying to remember how to read folders on the main part of the
> disk so that I can transfer some of the files, and cannot at the moment
> get the VBox version to see my USB sticks. Oh well, some more research,

Did you install the 'proper' version directly from Oracle rather than
the one in the repos? You ideally want the Oracle version:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

You've already installed the extension pack which is good, because
you're going to need it. First, with the VM powered off find the network
settings for the guest and change the network type from NAT to bridged -
this will give your VM an IP from your router on the same subnet as
everything else, which will make things easier. Once that's running,
connecting to your host OS from the guest is done just like connecting
any two machines - presuming you're running a NFS server on the host:

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.x.y:/your/nfs/share /your/VMs/mnt/point

To "map" a host drive or folder to the VM in the way you mean it, start
up the VM and in the bottom right of the Vbox window hover over the row
of little icons until you find the one with the "shared folder" tooltip
- right click on it and bring up the configuration pane. Highlight
transient drive for a temporary map or permanent (obviously) for a
mapping that will survive reboots and then click on the "add" button -
drill down through your host OS's filesystem to choose the folder you
want to share and click ok. Pay attention to the "name" field in the
dialogue box, which will probably automatically change itself to match
the folder you finally selected (you can edit it manually if you want).
Done!

To actually access the new mapping inside the VM, start a shell. For
this example, we'll presume I chose to map the /export/ISO folder from
my host OS to the guest VM - I didn't change the defaults so Vbox
automatically selected "iso" (seems to be case insensitive) as the
shared folder name, which I'm going to mount on /mnt/test. The command is:

sudo mount -t vboxsf iso /mnt/test

You'll need to change "iso" to whatever your shared folder is called and
the mount point to whatever suits you.

USB sticks are much easier - first plug it in to the host (duh). Start
your VM (can't be done with the guest off so you *can't* boot VMs from
USB without some major tweaking) and hover over the same row of icons in
the bottom right of the Vbox window until you find the one with the USB
tooltip - right click. Vbox will pop up a list of all attached USB
devices on the host and you simply click on whichever one you want
attached to the VM. It will immediately unmount from the host and attach
automatically inside the VM, presuming the VM can automount it. Try not
to accidentally detach your host's mouse or keyboard, it's a giant pain
in the arse!

You've installed the guest additions inside the VM as well as adding the
extension pack to the host OS right? You need to do both for maximum effect.

Cheers