Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 11:20 PM
From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@xxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Repetier host install
On 23/11/16 21:32, mr meowski wrote:
> On 23/11/16 20:35, aaron moore wrote:
>> I tried running it as sudo. I got an icon but I didn't have permission.
>> I tried to change permission but it disappeared?
>> What script archive should I send for you to look at?
> Ok, I guess you're using the latest repetier-host linux 1.6.2 bundle
> from here?
>
> https://www.repetier.com/download-now/
>
> The scripts in that bundle are indeed a little rough around the edges.
> Firstly, see if the thing works at all so start clean. You seem to have
> unpacked the archive to /home/aaron/Documents/new printer/RepetierHost
> (wouldn't be surprised if the space in "new printer" in that filepath is
> to blame) so grab a fresh copy of the software and untar it somewhere like:
>
> /home/aaron/testing/RepetierHost
>
> cd to that directory, re-run configureFirst.sh (with sudo) and then
> createDesktopicon.sh (without). That should drop a new desktop shortcut
> entry in the *current directory*, not on the Desktop. Check with a GUI
> fileviewer and double click to start, report back with any problems.
>
> Cheers
I might suggest, depending on the script, that often with 'sudo' alone,
the right permissions might not permeate to subsidiary programs/scripts
(if used). I tend to advocate running a 'sudo su' to fully super-up into
a root shell, then run the script from there with full privileges, and
drop afterwards.

I was toying with the idea of getting repetier packaged for Gentoo, so
I'd be interested in your mileage under linux, as I do believe my friend
with his XYZ machine has only used it with Windows (so far).

Best regards,
Michael.