Re: [LUG] Floppy was Re: bad: scheduling from the idle thread

On 18/06/16 15:31, Simon Waters wrote:

>> On 18 Jun 2016, at 14:19, Adrian Midgley <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> This Liquorix kernel: I seem to be wandering away from mainstream
>> if I do that.  Am I likely to end up compiling my own?  Should I
>> grow a ponytail?
>
> Debian's kernel tools make building your own kernel package from
> kernel source tar balls really easy, so not only can you build your
> own kernel, you have a sporting chance of it working with Debian,
> upgrading, removing it, and sharing it with others with the same
> hardware...
>
> I've never had a pony tail, but if it helps sure; although in your
> case that bird might have flown.

In news that will probably surprise nobody, I do happen to be a long
haired scruffy type (although playing against type, I'm not fat and
don't have a beard!) and I do build my own kernels, sometimes.

Liquorix is a pre-compiled and very professional Debian kernel however,
so you definitely won't need to rebuild/hack it yourself unless you have
some very specific needs. Even then, they of course provide full sources
so a rebuild is easy. It's been around for years, provides frequent
updates and the maintainer is an official Debian packager so it's not
like some dodgy fell-off-the-back-of-a-truck job. Plus it's not like you
need to get rid of your existing kernels either, and can uninstall it if
it doesn't meet your needs. You really don't have anything to lose by
trying it do you, especially as mainstream seems to be buggy for you?

For what it's worth, I've been using it routinely on many systems for
years now, and prefer it to the mainstream Debian kernel builds for
desktop/workstation loads. I stick to mainstream or at least official
BPO for servers though.

Cheers

PS: your motherboard will definitely support BIOS flash from USB, that's
the way you'll want to go. It's easy via an automated tool in Windows of
course but that won't help you much I imagine...