Re: [LUG] Video about Superfast Cornwall

> On 15 Jun 2016, at 21:53, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Kai Hendry wrote:
>
>> On 14 June 2016 at 15:55, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> There was talk of FTTP, but I've not heard of anyone in Cornwall getting
>>> it.
>>
>> Julian Cowans from the http://www.cornwalldevelopmentcompany.co.uk/
>> told me FTTP is available in towns like Bodmin.
>
> BT have stopped offering FTTPod (on demand), but FTTP may still be possibled from
> exchanges + cabinets enabled for it. Not all cabinets have the right kit in them.
>
>> Furthermore
>> https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/ductandpolesharing/ductandpolesharing.do
>> should enable one to cable upto the cabinet. But I think only BT offer
>> this service and cringe to think how much they charge.
>>
>> If there were competitors to connect folks with fibre, I would love to
>> get some quotes for the 1.xkm to the cabinet.
>
> It's utterly trivial to get fibre - but it's not the crappy consumer grade
> "broadband" you think you want, but proper uncontended Internet access, and as
> such costs accordingly. It's a standard 60 working day setup/install and you get
> the choice of ISPs. There are many - some will have access to their own fibre,
> some will lease fibre from other carriers, but the Internet plumbing will go to
> their own network.
>
> The last quote I had for my own home was Â3000 install and Â1000 a month for a
> 100Mb symetrical and uncontended service.

thats more likely the dedicated ethernet service. It not the same thing and overkill
for most people and small businesses.

> Even FTTP comes with "excess construction charges" almost all the time. Knowing
> where my cabinet is and how the wire gets to my house, I know it would take a team
> at least a day to get the fibre to me - if it was even possible. When they
> replaced the pole a month or so ago they were unable to run new cable from the
> cabinet to the duct at the bottom of the pole, so they spliced in more copper )-:

I actually have FTTP @300Mbps in Newlyn, Its Â550/quarter + vat on a Business
contract. Its awesome and a lot cheaper than the alternatives. To get it you need to
talk to the BT business team for Cornwall .. See the bt business website.  Its
option 3 or option4 business broadband in BT speak.   there a Â100 new line install
charge because you don't use the existing copper line and the tel number is a sip
number.