Re: [LUG] Video about Superfast Cornwall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Kai Hendry wrote:

On 14 June 2016 at 15:55, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There was talk of FTTP, but I've not heard of anyone in Cornwall getting
it.

Julian Cowans from the http://www.cornwalldevelopmentcompany.co.uk/
told me FTTP is available in towns like Bodmin.

BT have stopped offering FTTPod (on demand), but FTTP may still be possibled from exchanges + cabinets enabled for it. Not all cabinets have the right kit in them.

Furthermore
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/ductandpolesharing/ductandpolesharing.do
should enable one to cable upto the cabinet. But I think only BT offer
this service and cringe to think how much they charge.

If there were competitors to connect folks with fibre, I would love to
get some quotes for the 1.xkm to the cabinet.

It's utterly trivial to get fibre - but it's not the crappy consumer grade "broadband" you think you want, but proper uncontended Internet access, and as such costs accordingly. It's a standard 60 working day setup/install and you get the choice of ISPs. There are many - some will have access to their own fibre, some will lease fibre from other carriers, but the Internet plumbing will go to their own network.

The last quote I had for my own home was Â3000 install and Â1000 a month for a 100Mb symetrical and uncontended service.

Even FTTP comes with "excess construction charges" almost all the time. Knowing where my cabinet is and how the wire gets to my house, I know it would take a team at least a day to get the fibre to me - if it was even possible. When they replaced the pole a month or so ago they were unable to run new cable from the cabinet to the duct at the bottom of the pole, so they spliced in more copper )-:

I'm also wondering why I haven't heard of any "WISPS". Folks supplying
Internet from cabinets wirelessly say.

Because its stupidly hard to do so, and expensive for the ISP. You need this magical thing called "line of sight". Can you see the cabinet from the house? Could you even see 15m above the cabinet? (You can generally put up a 15m mast without planning permission)

There is currently some trials and live service of Airband wireless broadband in Devon & Somerset to fill-in the spots where FTTC can't reach. They're offering a 30Mb/sec. service which isn't bad. I missed out on the trial because they couldn't see the bottom of the mast from my house. Putting kit on existing masts is trivial, but height costs money and it's an exponential sort of costs - the higher you go, the more is costs...

I did this here 14 years ago, and I was involved in the 1st Broadband system over the Penwith peninsula at the same time. Wireless is great, but never a long-term solution for this sort of thing.

Start pruning those trees...
Gordon