Re: [LUG] System down...

On 26/05/16 21:34, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> And apt-get update seems uncontroversial...
> but apt-get upgrade wants to bring down 271MBytes of files, including
> libreofice and a kernel with the same numbers as this one - 3.16.0-4-amd64
>
> Advice please: do I run that?
>
> On Thursday, 26 May 2016, Adrian Midgley <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:amidgley@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Followed
>
> http://superuser.com/questions/111152/whats-the-proper-way-to-prepare-chroot-to-recover-a-broken-linux-installation
>
>     To the line containing /proc/mounts
>     At which it denies any knowledge of such a thing.
>
>     Do I need to worry about that and my mtab?

Whoops, missed these whilst typing the full instructions... you moved
quicker than expected.

If you've followed the rest of their instructions or mine you can ignore
the "grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab" command.

Definitely "yes" to the apt-get upgrade question though, although you
want to replace that with "apt-get dist-upgrade" ideally. Also see my
other reply for more detail.

The very fact that it wants to reinstall the 3.16.0-4-amd64 kernel
implies immediately that as we eventually surmised, it wasn't installed
properly beforehand. Again see my more exhaustive prior reply for more
detail but I'd be pretty surprised if the kernel (re)install doesn't
immediately fix this for you.

Cheers