Re: [LUG] System down...

My notes have left me unsure whether I have a boot partition as /dev/sda1 or not.

There are UUID for the sdb1 drive bindings, and that all seems fine.

Fsck reports sda2 clean.
It doesn't report anything about sda1 including it doesn't say it is nonexistent.

There was no line in fstab for dev/sda2 (or 1 either) but there was a line for a UUID which I can't find with blkid.  Commenting that and writing one to mount /dev/sda2 as / hasn't fixed it.  Poo.

"fdisk -l /dev/sda" would be the thing to check now - in any sane system, you would have a /dev/sda1 for boot. You might need to try parted instead if you have a modern GPT disk label.

It would definitely be possible - although unusual - to have GRUB installed on the sda MBR, a blank or non-used sda1 partition and /boot included in /dev/sda2 but that would be pretty weird. Still technically bootable and functional but weird.

When you mount /dev/sda does it have an empty /boot directory (this means that /boot should be sda1) or is there stuff in it (this would mean that /boot is included on the sda2 root)?

I'd temporarily disconnect sdb completely to see if  you still get a GRUB prompt at all - it's possible that your BIOS/EFI has got confused and re-ordered how it sees the disk, resulting in GRUB being written to the wrong (or both) disks. Might also be worth getting a GRUB prompt and manually adding the stanzas to bring the system up. Are you GRUB or GRUB2, the syntax is completely different.

Cheers