Fsck reports sda2 clean.
It doesn't report anything about sda1 including it doesn't say it is nonexistent.Â

There was no line in fstab for dev/sda2 (or 1 either) but there was a line for a UUID which I can't find with blkid. Commenting that and writing one to mount /dev/sda2 as / hasn't fixed it. Poo.

On Thu, 26 May 2016, 18:51 mr meowski, <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: list [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian Midgley
Sent: 26 May 2016 18:36
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] System down...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4HlGuBivD/

Drives not so complicated.
Sda is boot

/Sda1 isn't playing. It should

System installed in sda2

Sdb1 has home and srv and var to mount onto the relevant directories.

Fstab looks wrong

Fantastic, just the right time for Microsoft to randomly crap out this live account on my Linux workstation (it does this periodically â suddenly Thunderbird canât access it and even the web interface doesnât work for some reason). Thought it was weird I hadnât seen anything for an hour so switched to a Win10 laptop with Outlook 2016 and surprise! It works perfectly. Damn you Microsoftâ

Back to your issue, letâs have a look at your /etc/fstab then. Youâre currently getting bombed out to busybox shell as for some reason your machine canât find the ext4 kernel module, which is obviously going to be fatal presuming your root fs is ext4.

Can you load the previous kernel(s) at all, or are they all the same now?

Iâd cautiously suspect that a dist-upgrade of the kernel or something else fundamental failed to rebuild the initramfs correctly leaving you with an unbootable system. A look at your fstab should make things clearer, particularly as to whether your partitions are referenced by UUID or plain labelling.

Think that booting a live system, mounting and binding your existing partitions and chrooting in to fix the damage might be the way to go.

Cheers