Re: [LUG] System down...

On Thursday, 26 May 2016, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

"fdisk -l /dev/sda" would be the thing to check now - in any sane system, you would have a /dev/sda1 for boot. You might need to try parted instead if you have a modern GPT disk label.

Ok, 512 MiB
Sectors 512 bytes
Disk label type dos
Identifier 0x00000000

Whoops, I can't read - the above clearly says "Disk label type dos" which isn't illegal, but is strange. The output of:

sudo parted /dev/sda print

is definitely going to be interesting here.

GRUB internally supports most filesystems, including ext4, which is how it is successfully "seeing" and handing off the boot process to the EFI stub initially in /dev/sda1 and from then on into /boot on /dev/sda2. The fact that the kernel even starts booting indicates that everything is *probably* ok except for the kernel/initramfs itself, reinforced by the strange lack of fallback kernels.

I'd still like to see the parted output but this is definitely going to be a chroot and fix job. If you could be bothered it might be instructive to boot the gparted live ISO and examine the disk headers/partition structure from it's built in GUI disk editor - it's really good at picking up incorrect partition structures or otherwise disallowed/unadvised disk label and boot issues.

Cheers

* http://gparted.org/download.php
×
×