Re: [LUG] System down...

OK, I have the Debian 8 install disk, and have a shell in the installed system.
Nosing around, home and data stuff seem fine.

I think it is dying after grub, I get a boot menu and then something about /sbin/init

And then an intended prompt which is unfamiliar and alarming.

On Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:54 mr meowski, <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/05/16 16:22, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Currently looking at the rescue shell, started in /dev/sda2 and with
> sdb1 mounted
>
> Jessie
> Should I be looking at or reinstalling grub?
>
> I may be missing something about /dev/sda2 but fsck says can't, mounted
> So I say umount /dev/sda2 and umount says sda2 is not mounted
> And I say fsck and it says it can't because sda2 is mounted.
>
> Hum.

mount | grep sd
dmesg | grep sda

Really, you want to boot from an external source (a
Debian/Ubuntu/whatever USB installer/live instance would do fine) first,
get access to a shell and do some sniffing around from there.

I wouldn't muck around with grub or anything yet until you've got a
better overview of what's not working right.

Cheers