Re: [LUG] Wifi not working (SOLVED)

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 08:38:00 +0000
<barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:26:45 +0000
> Matt Stevenson <mrmstevenson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Yes Eion seems MS updates break and fix wired and wireless
> > connections reliably.
> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016955/microsoft-windows/cumulative-update-kb-3124200-for-windows-10-version-1511-may-fix-wi-fi-problem.html
> >
> > My Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. has been known to drop wired and wifi
> > connections. May of been due to restarting the network manger.
> >
> > What is the preferred way to restart the network interfaces in
> > Ubuntu ?
> >
> > sudo ifdown eth0 or your interface number
> > sudo ifup eth0 or your interface number
> >

> Of course, thanks for that. Have made a note about it and will use it
> if necessary.
>
> Neil

OK, so it was very simple in the end. Having checked out her machine
details on line I saw that there was an Fn key which I had forgotten
about, One is a toggle to switch the wifi on and off. I rang her and
told her to try that (in this case Fn +  F11) and the wifi started working.

Of course she claims that she did not touch those keys, so perhaps we
should blame one of the cats!!

Anyway thanks for all the help and ideas. All's well .....

Neil