Re: [LUG] Wifi nto working

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:58:23 +0000
Ben Whorwood <ml-devcornlinuxgrp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you know the make and model of the laptop (usually on a sticker on
> the bottom plus other branding on the case)? Could do some checking
> before hand for similar issues or where the hardware / software
> switches are.

It was a laptop I bought for her as a present back in July 2012. It came
with no OS, and I installed Xubuntu on it. It was a Zoostorm, but I
can't remember the model. It has never had Windows on it.

> I've sometimes had wireless cards not work under certain operating
> systems under certain conditions. If you boot up to a reliable
> operating system (e.g. Debian live) as a fixed point you can then
> quickly ascertain whether it is likely a hardware fault or something
> else without having to fight the barrage of software installed
> (wanted or not) as the primary operating system. I will often do this
> as, if having to work on a Windows machine, you can have booted *nix
> and fixed / found the source of the issue before the bloatware would
> have given you a login prompt.
>
> You can also then also send debug information captured from known and
> trusted tools which should help to get more answers (especially from
> this list, rather than fault codes from Windows event viewer or
> similar).

I think I will first wait and see if it works over here. I suspect some
trouble with her wifi provider. She lives on a farm out in the wilds a
bit. She has had some problems on occasions.

Neil