Re: [LUG] Wifi nto working

Do you know the make and model of the laptop (usually on a sticker on the bottom plus other branding on the case)? Could do some checking before hand for similar issues or where the hardware / software switches are.

I've sometimes had wireless cards not work under certain operating systems under certain conditions. If you boot up to a reliable operating system (e.g. Debian live) as a fixed point you can then quickly ascertain whether it is likely a hardware fault or something else without having to fight the barrage of software installed (wanted or not) as the primary operating system. I will often do this as, if having to work on a Windows machine, you can have booted *nix and fixed / found the source of the issue before the bloatware would have given you a login prompt.

You can also then also send debug information captured from known and trusted tools which should help to get more answers (especially from this list, rather than fault codes from Windows event viewer or similar).

Thanks,
Ben