Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

On 22 Jul 2015, at 09:29, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Bad Apple
>
> On 21/07/15 09:55, bad apple wrote:
>> On 21/07/15 09:01, Richard Brown wrote:
>>> Loaded up School of Rock DVD and nothing happened. I ran the command as Bad
>>> Apple suggested but it doesn't seem to recognise a dvd. So gave these DVDs a try:
>>> Phone Booth - loaded fine and played without audio.
>>> Towering Inferno - Made the noise but never loaded
>>> The Pursuit of Happiness - Made the noise and loaded. Played with no audio again.
>>>
>>> I have since noticed that the speaker icon in the top right hand corner is
>>> greyed out but when you play YouTube video there is sound!
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on where to next please? How would I check sound out please?
>>
>> Now you're running into codec issues as well as CSS problems. Did you run both
>> commands, to install libdvdread4 *and* then run the script to setup libdvdcss
>> afterwards? You also probably want to try a better playback tool - you haven't
>> said what you're using but if it's the inbuilt player "totem" it's not very good.
>> Install VLC and use it's own feature to open disks for playback - VLC bundles
>> internal support for most types of CSS and codecs. Personally I'd install mpv
>> instead, the successor to mplayer/mplayer2 - again, far more features and much
>> more chance of things working properly.
>>
>> Lastly for Ubuntu, install pretty much as many of the gstreamer codec bundles as
>> well:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
>> gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
>>
>> That will pull in enough codecs to play pretty much everything. As per usual,
>> give it a try and report back.
>>
>> I'm slightly surprised that people are still watching DVDs...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> I ran both commands and also installed mpv. Playback is now no problem. Sound is
> completely gone now. There is simply a grey out sound icon in the top right hand
> column.
>
> All sound has now disappeared!

I just looked at your alsa output and it had this .....

Pulseaudio:
     Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
     Running - No

I would assume it need to be running! for the sound to come out :)

try this .... (simple fix)
as root run

pulseaudio -kill
pulseaudio -start

(hard fix)
you might also find this info useful  (i know its arch.. but its still a debian
based platform) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting