Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

On 20 Jul 2015, at 19:19, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 20/07/15 14:00, Martin Gautier wrote:
>>

>> On 20/07/15 13:24, Richard Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys

>>> Just ran:
>>>
>>> sudo lshw -C disk
>>>  *-disk
>>>       product: TOSHIBA MK5061GS
>>>       vendor: Toshiba
>>>       physical id: 0.0.0
>>>       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
>>>       logical name: /dev/sda
>>>       version: 2E
>>>       serial: Y1O6P2HVT
>>>       size: 465GiB (500GB)
>>>       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
>>>       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
>>> signature=000a4064
>>>  *-cdrom
>>>       product: DVDRAM GU10N
>>>       vendor: HL-DT-ST
>>>       physical id: 0.0.0
>>>       bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
>>>       logical name: /dev/cdrom
>>>       logical name: /dev/cdrw
>>>       logical name: /dev/dvd
>>>       logical name: /dev/dvdrw
>>>       logical name: /dev/sr0
>>>       version: MX05
>>>       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
>>>       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
>>>     *-medium
>>>          physical id: 0
>>>          logical name: /dev/cdrom
>>>
>>> Can anybody clue me as to what to do next please? Thanks
>>>
>> Richard
>>
>> If "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" works from within terminal, then it's probably
>> just a matter of editing your /etc/fstab?
>>
>> Martin
>>
> Just tried:
> sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
> richard@richard-ThinkPad-X201:~$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
>       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail or so.
>
> dmesg returns a list of stuff with this at the bottom:
>
> [26676.325502] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
> [26676.325508] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
> [26676.325512] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
> [26676.325514] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
> [26676.325519] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
> [26676.325524] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication
> [26676.325528] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
> [26676.325530] Read(10): 28 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 02 00
> [26676.325540] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4096
> [26676.325545] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 512
>

> It is a dvd in the slot drive. Any ideas please?

its remote possibility the drive its self only supports audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
dvd-ram  format disks , which means any cd+r cd+rw dvd dvd+r dvd+ram media might not
work

The - and the + refer to different optical methods used to store/read the data, very
old drives can be fussy, but these days almost every mode is supported.

try a simple data cd that is the - type. and check the media isn't damaged. It the
problem persists you many have a damaged drive, £5 should get you a replacement :)