Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

Hi Guys

On 21/07/15 02:56, Jay Bennie wrote:
On 20 Jul 2015, at 19:19, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

On 20/07/15 14:00, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 20/07/15 13:24, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

On 20/07/15 13:03, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi All

Hope everyone is well. I have a X201 and have installed a docking station. Ubuntu
recognises most elements of the station but has not picked up the dvd drive. Is
there a command I can run to get Ubuntu to look for devices please? Or is there a
different Linux distro that might be better at recognising the hardware please?

Thanks

Just ran:

sudo lshw -C disk
  *-disk
       product: TOSHIBA MK5061GS
       vendor: Toshiba
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 2E
       serial: Y1O6P2HVT
       size: 465GiB (500GB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
signature=000a4064
  *-cdrom
       product: DVDRAM GU10N
       vendor: HL-DT-ST
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom
       logical name: /dev/cdrw
       logical name: /dev/dvd
       logical name: /dev/dvdrw
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: MX05
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          logical name: /dev/cdrom

Can anybody clue me as to what to do next please? Thanks

Richard

If "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" works from within terminal, then it's probably just
a matter of editing your /etc/fstab?

Martin

Just tried:
sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
richard@richard-ThinkPad-X201:~$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,

       dmesg | tail or so.

dmesg returns a list of stuff with this at the bottom:

[26676.325502] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
[26676.325508] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[26676.325512] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
[26676.325514] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[26676.325519] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
[26676.325524] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication
[26676.325528] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
[26676.325530] Read(10): 28 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 02 00
[26676.325540] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4096
[26676.325545] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 512

It is a dvd in the slot drive. Any ideas please?
its remote possibility the drive its self only supports audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
dvd-ram  format disks , which means any cd+r cd+rw dvd dvd+r dvd+ram media might not
work

The - and the + refer to different optical methods used to store/read the data, very
old drives can be fussy, but these days almost every mode is supported.

try a simple data cd that is the - type. and check the media isn't damaged. It the
problem persists you many have a damaged drive, £5 should get you a replacement :)

Just try to load a blank DVD+R disk and it says unable to mount blank DVD+R disk. Location is already mounted! I clicked off the warning and it then said what do you want to do so I asked it to open a folder and it did it fine! It showed it mounted in the file system, so I clicked unmount and it open the disk tray. So that appears to be working.

Loaded up School of Rock DVD and nothing happened. I ran the command as Bad Apple suggested but it doesn't seem to recognise a dvd. So gave these DVDs a try:
Phone Booth - loaded fine and played without audio.
Towering Inferno - Made the noise but never loaded
The Pursuit of Happiness - Made the noise and loaded. Played with no audio again.

I have since noticed that the speaker icon in the top right hand corner is greyed out but when you play YouTube video there is sound!

Any thoughts on where to next please? How would I check sound out please?

--
Kind regards

Richard Brown
07747 343637