Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

Hi Jay

On 21/07/15 10:04, Jay Bennie wrote:
It is a dvd in the slot drive. Any ideas please?
its remote possibility the drive its self only supports audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
dvd-ram  format disks , which means any cd+r cd+rw dvd dvd+r dvd+ram media might not
work

The - and the + refer to different optical methods used to store/read the data, very
old drives can be fussy, but these days almost every mode is supported.

try a simple data cd that is the - type. and check the media isn't damaged. It the
problem persists you many have a damaged drive, £5 should get you a replacement :)

Just try to load a blank DVD+R disk and it says unable to mount blank DVD+R disk.
Location is already mounted! I clicked off the warning and it then said what do you
want to do so I asked it to open a folder and it did it fine! It showed it mounted
in the file system, so I clicked unmount and it open the disk tray. So that appears
to be working.

Loaded up School of Rock DVD and nothing happened. I ran the command as Bad Apple
suggested but it doesn't seem to recognise a dvd. So gave these DVDs a try:
Phone Booth - loaded fine and played without audio.
Towering Inferno - Made the noise but never loaded
The Pursuit of Happiness - Made the noise and loaded. Played with no audio again.

I have since noticed that the speaker icon in the top right hand corner is greyed
out but when you play YouTube video there is sound!

Any thoughts on where to next please? How would I check sound out please?

so its working fine, you just have some bad disks.

re audio,  probably some sound output device of class /dev/dsp needs to be
configured as a source for the cd/dvd device audio to make its way throughout the
software mixer.

device -> mixer -> output sound -> speakers

I don't see anything obvious in the list of devices.

ps also found this link
http://askubuntu.com/questions/330488/switched-from-win-to-ubuntu-12-04-and-cd-dvd-drives-arent-recognizing-media

Thanks for that. Looking into the dev/dsp configuration now.

--
Kind regards

Richard Brown
07747 343637