Re: [LUG] ThinkPad X201 Docking Station

>>> It is a dvd in the slot drive. Any ideas please?
>> its remote possibility the drive its self only supports audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
>> dvd-r dvd-ram  format disks , which means any cd+r cd+rw dvd dvd+r dvd+ram media
>> might not work
>>
>> The - and the + refer to different optical methods used to store/read the data,
>> very old drives can be fussy, but these days almost every mode is supported.
>>
>> try a simple data cd that is the - type. and check the media isn't damaged. It
>> the problem persists you many have a damaged drive, £5 should get you a
>> replacement :)
>>
> Just try to load a blank DVD+R disk and it says unable to mount blank DVD+R disk.
> Location is already mounted! I clicked off the warning and it then said what do
> you want to do so I asked it to open a folder and it did it fine! It showed it
> mounted in the file system, so I clicked unmount and it open the disk tray. So
> that appears to be working.
>
> Loaded up School of Rock DVD and nothing happened. I ran the command as Bad Apple
> suggested but it doesn't seem to recognise a dvd. So gave these DVDs a try:
> Phone Booth - loaded fine and played without audio.
> Towering Inferno - Made the noise but never loaded
> The Pursuit of Happiness - Made the noise and loaded. Played with no audio again.
>
> I have since noticed that the speaker icon in the top right hand corner is greyed
> out but when you play YouTube video there is sound!
>
> Any thoughts on where to next please? How would I check sound out please?

so its working fine, you just have some bad disks.

re audio,  probably some sound output device of class /dev/dsp needs to be
configured as a source for the cd/dvd device audio to make its way throughout the
software mixer.

device -> mixer -> output sound -> speakers

I don't see anything obvious in the list of devices.

ps also found this link
http://askubuntu.com/questions/330488/switched-from-win-to-ubuntu-12-04-and-cd-dvd-drives-arent-recognizing-media