Re: [LUG] OTT PCI DVB-T freeview card

On 5.07.2015 05:47, bad apple wrote:
On 04/07/15 21:02, Steven Côté wrote:
If you can find a dvb-s2 card with drivers in the mainline kernel,
you're better at this than me. If I was starting from scratch these
days, I'd just get a cheap freesat box; it's easier and cheaper.

If this is for other people, I say stop worrying about it and just buy
in a solution.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. Stupid, stupid Linux crap
that I just don't want to deal with.

Satellite dish (was Sky, deal left over a year ago)
A computer. I can do anything with this.
1080p screen + 5.1 surround fed by a receiver. I can pump anything I
want to this via HDMI/coax/etc

What I (i.e.; other people) want is the full range (aka: FreeSat: 200+
channels of rubbish) on that physical setup. Yes, I could just install
Sky or something at each property but we are talking about seriously old
people with literally no money here. I reiterate:

I have exactly this:

A bunch of old crappy properties with ancient, deactivated Sky dishes
Some random computers
A minuscule budget (my own pocket basically)
Some old people who'd like their TV not to be as ancient as they are

Please god let there be some £50 FreeSat box with decent outputs, the
like of which I  can feed into whatever random $LINUX box I choose.

Anyone? 'Cos I'm drawing blanks on this.

Cheers

PS: If anyone pipes up and says "MythTV" I'll kill them. MythTV is not a
panacea, morons. Yes, I already have it running. No, it doesn't do any
of the things I want it to do. Shutup already. Are we clear?

I have a TBS card and I've never had to rebuild, or indeed build, anything for it. On the CD are instructions for building modules, I ignore them. The last stage is copying the driver directory/files (I can't tell you exactly what you need to copy and to where as the box and installation CD are in a different country right now) to the appropriate place and this is the only part of the process that needs to be done. It then just works, so the modules are already there I guess, just not the card drivers.

The kernel has been upgraded many times via auto updates, and nothing has ever stopped working.

Again, I'd advise you to use kaffeine. Select the appropriate satellite from the list, Astra something, and press scan. Then select the channels you want from the list. That's it! A rescan is no more of a faff than doing the same for a freesat box, less so infact as you're using a mouse and not a hand set.