Re: [LUG] OTT PCI DVB-T freeview card

On 04/07/15 06:14, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 3 July 2015 at 20:32, Steven Côté <steven.cote@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:steven.cote@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I've got a TBS 6981 dual dvb-s2 in a myth box. Its been running fine
>     for the past 4 years or so. Not much to say about it, which is what
>     you want in appliance box like that. Anything specific you want to know?
>

> I have the same card. Works fine - except for having to manually build
> the drivers each kernel update, which is a major faff and seems a bit
> hit and miss as to whether it works.
>
> Myth is quite a faff to configure too - strange logic involved in the
> process.
>
> Once up and running though, it's pretty much zero maintenance and with
> mythweb it just sits in my loft recording mpgs day after day. I don't
> watch anything with it though. I wrote a script that renames the files
> according to their actual names and watch via other computers or the tv
> via a samba share.

Damn it, more MythTV! DKMS'ing modules is like clockwork for me, but I
can't drop something on my end users that requires manual intervention
like that... This is exactly why MythTV is effectively unusable for
anyone except hackers or Linux sysadmins. "End users" in this case is
elderly family members that decidedly don't want complicated crap like
that to deal with, and I can't SSH into their box every day just to make
sure something isn't broken. Again.

Redundant Sky satellite dish > computer running Linux with some kind of
satellite capable capture card > effectively FreeSat selection pumped
out in 1080p/5.1. End user sits happily in comfy chair with remote
control/mobile phone with remote control app and profits.

Surely there is an easy way to accomplish this?

Cheers