Re: [LUG] OTT PCI DVB-T freeview card

On 04/07/15 05:52, Simon Robert wrote:

> for mythtv etc you probably need to do a bit of googling for the Astra
> settings, but it's easy enough once you have them.
>
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php

This is exactly the sort of crap I'm talking about - don't get me wrong,
I've done due diligence, plenty of internet research and I've built
several of these mythtv type boxes over the years. There's even one
downstairs that has been running Windows + Media Centre for 3 years and
it works perfectly, except for dodgy satellite reception. I eventually
went with Windows against my better judgement after extensively
trialling Ubuntu + mythtv vs the Windows solution as Windows worked,
Linux didn't. Sucks, but what can you do when the missus is demanding
something easy, quick and capable of recording stuff *NOW*.

Sanity is saying: buy a cheap FreeSat unit for each location with a
retired Sky dish and wash my hands of it. My inner self is screaming
"don't be an idiot, make something yourself with Linux or you'll regret
it down the line".

I want everything off FreeSat, I want it easy enough for end users (I
don't care how rough something is myself, I use mpg123 for music
playback for god's sake) to use and fiddle with and I am not arsing
about with MythTV again. Been there, done that, lost years of my life to
it.

Considering just how little I actually care about live TV I genuinely
want to spend as little effort on this as possible. Anything involving
manual intervention in MythTV is out right from the start because A:
MythTV is ridiculously complicated B: I don't care. I know full well I
can accomplish 99% of this with a hacked Amazon FireTV stick and Kodi -
have two right in front of me - but it's the whole live TV via retired
Sky satellite dish thing I need to get on top of.

Any advice on my monumentally selfish and awkward requirements much
appreciated. Just don't say anything involving MythTV please!

Cheers