Re: [LUG] ArchBang derivative with no systemd - has any one test driven it yet?

Systemd: a singleton service manager process that introduces a high level abstraction around services control: It works more like the sun or windows services managers - its actually quite good, but new is and has issues fitting in. When it goes wrong it can be a big learning curve to find & fix.as most config and data is not in a declarative text format. its goals are: do things faster, more efficiently and consistently.

Init.d : lots of simple scripts, multiple flavours, it works, it is modifiable without killing anything you couldn't fix by hand.

SysV: like init.d with  different file locations and naming, also relatively easy to fix.

if you don't care and you didn't learn init or sysv : services will feel more modern and less quirky, and probably easier to learn.
if your an experiences sysadmin - you will hang your head - knowing some aggressive know it all has won an important argument and until its proven the hard way we all have to deal with two methodologies competing and breaking our system.

On 12 Jun 2015, at 14:12, Adrian Midgley <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a very very brief discussion of the reasons for changing to systemd and why some people think it is good and some bad somewhere please?  Perhaps a little longer than a haiku but not too much.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 at 21:36 bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/06/15 20:16, Jay Bennie wrote:
> bad apple -> http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=5364

Hmm, that's pretty interesting but it's a very small and new project as
yet. I like crunchbang/archbang but just don't have much faith they're
ever going to stick around for long. Void has the same problem really.

Just tested springlinux and it was interesting up to the point it failed
to install grub - I mucked around for 5 minutes chrooting and manually
doing it but something is broken in the base system. Only their second
released ISO though, and it did look intriguing.

Cheers