Re: [LUG] Jessie was Re: Best linux distro for home file server

On 26 April 2015 at 23:55, damian brown <jvc260w@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
true jay, i do really want to learn how to use linux more than i could, the one main thing that puts me off is most of the software i use on linux requires installing it via command line, in windows i know command prompt pretty well but terminal in linux is a bit diffrent.

Not neccessarily - most distros have a gui installer. Ubuntu and mint certainly do.Â

I don't use guis on linux myself so I'm fuzzy on the detail, but plenty do and installing software is mostly a pointy-clicky affair and MUCH easier than Windows since they're collected in one global installer (normally a wrapper to apt-get on those distros I named)

Whether the program itself is gui is another matter ofc, but it depends very much on what you want to do.