Re: [LUG] Best linux distro for home file server

On 25/04/15 19:12, damian brown wrote:
> cheers for the reply
>
> im still new to linux and half of what you said i was like "what" lol
> but i will defently give freenas a go
>
> have you got any experience with freenas and whats it system requirements
>
> the pc i plan to install this on has a
>
>  intel celeron dual core e3770 @ 2GHz
> 1 GB DDR1 (4x 256mb)
> nvidia geforce 2 mx 32mb
> 3x 80GB IDE HDD

Wow, that's an *ahem* modest system! Nothing wrong with that, I'm just a
little bit taken aback at just how modest it is. Where did you even find
gear like that? I feel bad about having dual socket Xeons with a couple
of Tb of SCSI RAID just lying around doing nothing...

With hardware that gentle, you're probably going to have to use an
appliance-like system: I withdraw my suggestion of FreeNAS because ZFS
(the native filesystem for FreeNAS, like NTFS is the native filesystem
for windows or ext3/4 for Linux) is voraciously RAM hungry and 1Gb is
simply not going to cut it: FreeNAS recommends 8Gb minimum, and much
much more if you want to do inline dedupe.

You may well be better off installing a really minimal Linux distro like
the LDXE Ubuntu spin or server 15.04 (released yesterday), but then
you'd have to manually configure everything yourself and you just said
you're pretty new to Linux.

I cautiously recommend Openfiler instead - linux based instead of BSD,
think it provides everything  you want through a web based easy
interface, no ZFS or horrendous hardware requirements.

If anyone else wants to step in and recommend something feel free - I'm
not used to dealing with hardware this weak unless it's something from
the Arduino/RPi/ARM world. 80Gb IDE hard drives? Been a while since I've
seen those in the wild!

Hope that makes sense, just ask if it doesn't.