Re: [LUG] Best linux distro for home file server

On 25/04/15 16:14, damian brown wrote:
> also do you guys know of any programs where users can access there files
> via a web browser, it would be nice to have people there own login where
> there files cant be seen by other people and they can upload and
> download  via the web browser. i know HFS can do this in windows so im
> wondering if someone as made the same thing for linux

Oops, forgot to mention that FreeNAS supports webdav either out of the
box or with a plugin, can't remember which, so to actually directly
answer your question directly then yes, this can be done easily. Don't
forget you can always give your windows users something simple like a
pre-configured WinSCP install with SSH keys and then lock their access
into chrooted SFTP jails - more complex admin side, but brain-dead
simple user side which is presumably what you want.

All of this - including even the ZFS bit - can be relatively trivially
built from scratch on any Linux distro you feel like but as you
specifically asked for something easy, you probably don't want to have
to manually implement everything yourself.

Alternatives to FreeNAS would be things like Openfiler and dare I say
it, Windows Home Server (this last one won't serve you well in a
multi-OS environment however).